Sigma Tau Delta is the International English Honor Society for distinguished undergraduate and graduate students of English language and literature. Case Western Reserve University has an active chapter, the Beta Beta Chapter, which all qualified students are invited to join.
The CWRU chapter’s Facebook Page.
Sigma Tau Delta National Site
Undergraduate and graduate students interested in joining Sigma Tau Delta must meet these requirements:
- Candidates for undergraduate membership must have a minimum of two college courses in English language and literature beyond the usual requirements in freshman English. The candidate must have a minimum of a B or equivalent average both in English courses taken and as a whole, and the candidate must have completed at least three semesters of college coursework.
- Candidates for graduate membership must be enrolled in the Case graduate program in English, have completed six semester hours of graduate work, and have a minimum grade point average of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.
Join the Case Western Reserve University Chapter
The below information is usually collected in the fall semester. Look for announcements for a preliminary chapter meeting open to all interested students.
Here are step-by-step instructions to follow if you would like to join:
Step 1. If it is the fall semester, contact Robert Spadoni to find out when the deadline is and whether it has passed.
Step 2. Send an email to Robert Spadoni with this subject line, all in caps:
SIGMA TAU DELTA MEMBER INFORMATION
Include no other text in the body of this email. Send other correspondence to Professor Spadoni separately.
In the email, list:
- Your Name
- Permanent Address (not your campus address)
- Email Address
- Graduation Year
Step 3. Send via intercampus mail or deliver to Robert Spadoni’s mailbox in Guilford 211:
- a printout of the email described in Step 2.
- a copy of your transcript (unofficial okay).
- On this transcript, circle all English courses you have taken, and on the transcript or a separate sheet calculate your average for these English courses. The steps you perform to calculate the average should be clear and easy to follow.
- a money order or personal check for $40 payable to Case Western Reserve University. Check with Robert Spadoni to make sure that the amount is still $40. Checks only, please, no cash payments will be accepted. IMPORTANT: In the memo field of the check, write “SIGMA TAU DELTA payment for NAME,” where “NAME” is the name of the student seeking membership.
- Staple everything but the check together. Paper clip the check to the stapled bundle.
Applications not received by the deadline will not be accepted.