Due to constraints on faculty availability, we are not accepting PhD students for the academic year 2022-3.
Application to the graduate program in English at Case Western Reserve University is initiated online through the School of Graduate Studies here.
We accept applications for the fall semester only. If you have any questions about the application process or the graduate program in English, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies, Professor Michael Clune, directly by email.
- A complete School of Graduate Studies application
• Statement of Scholarly Purpose (PDF format, please) (NB: the Department does not require a separate personal statement – applicants can disregard that request on the electronic application)
• Writing Sample (PDF format, please; 15-20 pp. analytic paper)
• The names and contact information for three academic recommenders (from whom letters will be solicited electronically, the preferred method)
• GRE scores (report General Scores to the university using code 1105, not to the English department).
• Transcripts from all institutions previously attended. Unofficial copies may be uploaded to online application. (Official copies are not necessary until acceptance.)
• University application fee (Note that application fees to do not come to the Department)
Please note: We do not require the GRE Subject Test in English, though we welcome the evidence of comprehensive preparation in the field that strong scores attest.
Non-preferred, but accepted: please send any hard-copy transcripts or letters to:
Michael Clune, Director of Graduate Studies
Department of English, Case Western Reserve University
106B Guilford House
11112 Bellflower Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44106-7117
Complete applications are read by the English faculty’s Graduate Admissions Committee. Multiple members of the committee read and evaluate each file. Applications receiving positive initial evaluations are read in turn by the full Graduate Admissions Committee and considered for Graduate Assistantship funding at the close of the application cycle.
Reviews of application files are confidential and are not shared with applicants. Faculty who serve on the Admissions Committee receive no additional compensation for their work.
Applications should be received on or before January 15. Applications received after the deadline cannot be guaranteed full consideration.
Decisions are communicated no later than mid-March.
The Graduate School requires international applicants whose first language is not English to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores with their applications. The Graduate School requires minimum scores for eligibility for admission. In addition, the English Department looks for evidence of fluency in its admission decisions and in its awards of Graduate Assistantships.
For more information
Please direct questions about the Department, its programs, and its expectations for applications to:
Michael Clune, Director of Graduate Studies, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please direct all other questions, including about the online application system and application fees, to email@example.com.